Monday, December 10, 2012

HBHE student writes a Thank You to an HBHE Alum

This last summer, I was one of the lucky HBHE students to have a University of Michigan HBHE alum as my internship preceptor. I am so grateful for this experience and wanted to take this opportunity to share a bit about my internship with Nicole Adelman, the Executive Director of the Interfaith Hospitality Network at Alpha House. 


One of my biggest successes while at Alpha House was my work with the Washtenaw Housing Alliance Education and Advocacy Team. Nicole brought me onto the team to help plan Homelessness Awareness Week.

Honestly, I was initially a bit skeptical about what I had to offer. I was the only intern in a room full of individuals who had years of experience doing this work. I looked around at all of them wondering whether I would be able to make a meaningful contribution.

As the conversation picked up around the table, I started to add my ideas. Using the skills I gained in HBHE Needs Assessment, I offered strategies to distill community needs. I talked about how we could work with diverse communities, leveraging my experience from the practice component of my HBHE Community-Based Participatory Research course.

The committee ended up using the theme and major activity that I proposed for Washtenaw County’s 2012 Homelessness Awareness Week! Seeing my ideas come to life in the community left me with confidence in my HBHE training and skills.

Alumni know first-hand what we, as HBHE interns, have to offer- even when we don’t know it ourselves. Nicole provided the opportunity for my HBHE theory and skills to be put into action. I am forever grateful to Nicole and Alpha House and I look forward to her continued support and guidance.

Sincerely,
Emily Greenberg, MPH Candidate 2013


Which HBHE alumni made a difference in your life? Tell us how in a comment, below!

No comments:

Post a Comment