Friday, June 14, 2013

Mentoring that Matters: Thank You to Richard Ronder


Brittany McNeill, Hadiyah Muhammad,
Daniella Simon, & Richard Ronder
One recent spring morning, Richard Ronder, an HBHE alumnus who, on a trip to Ann Arbor, took time out of his schedule to mentor a group of current HBHE students at SPH. Richard founded the Columbus Organization, which provides clinical staffing and consulting nationwide to state and local agencies and school districts serving people with disabilities.

I was fortunate to be among the group to receive his mentoring. I wanted to write to say Thank You to Richard and share a little about what was helpful about the session. 

To start with, Richard joked that he hadn’t come to bore us as another talking head. Instead, he insisted on an interactive session where he tasked us to develop a business pitch for a program, project, or product that we may be interested in pursuing once we graduate.

I signed up for the session because just the thought of pitching my program ideas makes me incredibly nervous - so it seemed like a good learning experience. I am invested in continuing my work with autistic individuals. Specifically I am interested in developing a teacher/parapro training and case consultation model for school districts and for mental health professionals in community mental health settings. 

While it’s easier for me to recognize the difficulties of developing a program from the ground up, what I struggle most with is how to "pitch" this idea to potential partners or funders. Since Richard is an alum of the program, he knows that this is where HBHE graduates often struggle.

With years of experience blending HBHE and business, Richard helped us see how to frame our training and ideas within contexts outside academia. Hearing Richard’s feedback about how I can better pitch my program was incredibly helpful! His time with us was especially meaningful to me because I don't know anyone in the department who is familiar with my field of expertise.

I know that HBHE alumni do an incredible diversity of work. Yet, for those of us in highly specialized areas, we don’t often find alumni who do almost exactly what we’re interested in. We benefit a great deal when someone like Richard takes the time to connect with us. It was affirming for me to find someone with an HBHE degree who is very successful in the field of mental health and developmental disabilities.

The session with Richard Ronder was a unique and valuable experience that I continue to benefit from today!

Thank you, Richard, for your generosity with your time and expertise! 

Sincerely,
Daniella Simon, BCaBA, MPH/MSW Candidate 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment